Children and Youth Working Group
87% of the population in developing countries is under 25 – this is the generation that has grown up under the MDGs. However, children and youth face significant barriers to participation in national, regional and global policy processes. Civil society organisations that are led by / focus on / serve children and young people can play a significant role in ensuring that children and youth have a voice in the post-MDG agenda, in both formal and informal consultation processes.
The Children and Youth Working Group (CYWG) of Beyond 2015 was established in August 2012 and had the core mandate of:
- Improving coordination and information sharing amongst organisations engaging in the post-MDG process that are led by / focus on / serve children and young people.
- In time, developing children and youth position(s) on the post-2015 agenda, which will feed into and build on positions developed elsewhere as part of the Beyond 2015 campaign.
The group had two Co-Chairs: one from a child rights organisation and the other from a youth-serving/led organisation.
The Beyond 2015 CYWG had four main inter-dependent objectives to ensure that organisations that are led by / focus on / serve children and young people (‘children and youth organisations’) are:
- Informed: Children and youth organisations have access to timely and relevant information on the post-MDG process and opportunities to engage and participate.
- Visible: Children and youth organisations are active and visible in the post-2015 civil society and inter-governmental processes
- Coordinated: There is coordination amongst the independent and collaborative activities of children and youth organisations that relate to the post-2015 agenda.
- Heard: There are jointly developed position(s) of children and youth on the post-2015 agenda.
To download the full terms of reference for the group please click here.
The following organisations were part of the Children and Youth Working Group:
- Alliance for International Youth Development, AIYD
- European Youth Forum
- Global Young Greens
- Plan International EU office (Co-Chair)
- Restless Development (Co-Chair)
- Save the Children
- World Vision International
- World Youth Foundation
- Young People We Care, Ghana