UN Working Group
Terms of Reference
The UNWG’s main goal is to raise Beyond 2015’s voice, perspectives, and concerns by promoting Beyond 2015’s engagement in the Post-2015 and sustainable development debates at United Nations (UN) Headquarters, including through:
- Conducting regular briefings with key governments on Post-2015 and related processes.
- Gathering information on Post-2015 and related processes and on key Member State positions, and sharing the information across Beyond 2015.
The UNWG has two co-chairs. For 2014-2015, the co-chairs are:
- Debra Jones, Save the Children Fund
- Sofia Garcia Garcia, SOS Children's Villages
If you are based in New York and would like to actively participate in the group, please contact either of the co-chairs, or the Beyond 2015 Advocacy Director Naiara Costa (firstname.lastname@example.org).
UNWG in 2015
Members of the UNWG have an important responsability to represent Beyond 2015 during UN and UN-related events. Click here to see the general criteria for representation of the campaign at these events.
UNWG key activities in 2014
In 2014, the following briefings took place with Member States:
- Permanent missions of Benin and Denmark, Beyond 2015, SOS Children's Villages, Global Focus and the Danish 92 Group: briefing on the outcome document of the Beyond 2015 Copehnagen CSO Conference.
- Beyond 2015 & World Vision. An Interactive Dialogue between UN Member States and participating organisations of the Beyond 2015 Campaign on the “Introduction and Proposed Goals and Targets on Sustainable Development for the Post-2015 Development Agenda" proposed by the Co-Chairs of the Open Working Group on the Sustainable Development Goals. Thursday, 12 June 2014
- The Permanent Mission of Colombia to the United Nations and Beyond 2015. An Interactive Dialogue: Universality and the post-2015 framework: Moving the Debate Forward. Thursday, 10 April 2014
- The Permanent Mission of Sweden to the United Nations and Beyond 2015. Interactive dialogue: The Focus Areas of the Open Working Group. Tuesday, 4 March 2014.
Archive of key UNWG work pre-2014
- The UN Working Group put in place and oversaw the process to select Beyond 2015’s suggested civil society representatives to participate in the UN High Level Panel on a post-2015 development framework (you can find more information about this selection process here, here and here).
- The UN Working Group drafted the letter sent by the campaign’s Executive Committee to the UN Secretary General detailing the above mentioned recommendations (for more information click here and read the letter here).
- The UN Working Group drafted a letter to the UN Secretary General outlining the campaign's recommendations on the Terms of Reference for the Post-2015 High-Level Panel (see the letter here)